Sunday 24 May 2015

#SSS - 24th May - @LimbPower @kieraroche @BCNA2013



LimbPower Games

Where do I begin!!???

The weekend away last week, to Stoke Mandeville Stadium, was absolutely AMAZING!! Even better than last year! I mean, last year was pretty cool, as I hadn't really been out much at all since my release from hospital!
But this year, getting involved with a lot more activities, having the craic with my old friends from last year, and making new friends, it was just the best weekend I've had in years!!! I'm so so grateful to LimbPower's Kiera Roche for creating such a empowering foundation!! Thank you Kiera!

The friends you make there are seriously friends for life! The comradery and banter was on fire! The support and encourgament was really what helped to push you to do things you didn't think you could do! It's pretty amazing how just a bit of friendship and support from your peers can change a 'can't' into a 'can'!

I didn't think I would be able to run without a running blade. I just didn't trust the knee joint to take such a strain and to hold me up as I power it down.
But having people around you, cheering you on, and offering their advice and support, changes everything! I did it!!!!
It wasn't at all fast, and of course it looked a bit odd, but who cares, I was running!!!!!! I can't even put into words how amazing this achievement felt. It was the best feeling in the world!

I'm so lucky to have such good friends through LimbPower, supporting me and my progress. If it wasn't for this event, I would have carried on, assuming I couldn't do it.

It certainly changes your confidence and your outlook on your 'dis'ability! Thank you LimbPower!




 


 I was in the Black team this year, with Gemma and Ollie as the two mentors. I will list off the events and how it all went on...

On Saturday, we started off with breakfast, registration and a welcome. The first event was in Archery! I did love this one last year (because I had a good shot!) but this year I wasn't as good, so I'm admitting it was probably just a lucky shot on my first attempt!



Then we played wheelchair basketball! I loved that! I was totally rubbish at it, but it was such good fun! There was a lot of energy in this game, and the coach for it (I've forgotten his name) was hilarious! A feisty scotch man!

We then all had a refreshment break, and the next game for us Blacks was Table Tennis followed by Badminton and Golf, I skipped these ones and went to a shooting hut and also did some time on the rowing machine.
I was pretty good at the rifle shooting actually! It's all about relaxing your body and breathing out at a certain time before pulling the trigger, so there is a lot more to it then I had anticipated. Now my target card was pretty impressive and I was very pleased, however I thought I wouldn't sign up to a Paralympian shooting team so quickly! I decided to sleep on that one and go back to it the following day! ;)


We then had a lunch break, relaxing in the canteen with everyone before jumping back into the next sport. Now I don't know what was in that tuna sandwich, but it didn't half give me some beans! I went to the 'track athletics' and I RAN!!!!!!!!! 
 I'm still buzzing off this when I think about it actually, it was that much of a relief/achievement. I wish someone had taken a video of it for me to keep and look back on!

I think, as I was getting used to a new socket whilst there, the high impact and humidity caused a bit of a sore rash at the end of my little leg. So it was quite sore by the end of the day! We were all at the bar area relaxing Saturday evening, it was nice having a good chat and a drink with them all! Then as the bar closed we headed back to our rooms and I even copped a lift in Steven Blairs wheelchair! ;)

So for the Sunday, I wasn't wearing my leg as it was still sore at the bottom of my thigh (aka stump - but I hate that name/term for your residual limb! It's horrible! So if you're reading this take note! It's my thigh!)
We started off with a game of sitting Volley Ball, which was a nice start. I find I need something less vigorous to start off with, especially after having some of Derek's Brandy the night before! 

Then we had Archery/Track Athletics. This was followed by Badminton, but Anna and I skipped this to go shooting again! I just had to have a go on the hand pistol, I also wanted to see if I was as equally good as I was the day before. I think the rifle is more for me, the hand pistol just didn't work as well with me. I think a lot of it is physiological though, which is very interesting. After our my second visit to this shooting hut, I put my email address down to be contacted with places in my area to go to, to try out again. I think I might just do that! Being good with a gun is pretty cool! 

We then went to the tennis courts. Tennis, in a wheelchair! It was fun. It was a nice sunny day too, so it was nice to be outside doing something before lunch. 

After lunch, we headed to 'Field Athletics', the spot where the magic happened the day before, with my running attempt! :) 
Here, I was trying a bike ride! Without my prosthetic on. It was a bit unnerving at first! I had a clip at the bottom of a trainer, which attached to the peddle. This allowed me to push down and pull back up, which is needed if you don't have a prosthetic on.
It was a bit scary! I thought, shit, if I fall to the left my left foot is attached to the peddle so I can't quickly put my foot down, and if I fall to the right, I have nothing to put down! I was told by the lovely Wyn to turn my toes in to the right to loosen the clasp, but really, the fear of falling was clouding his words of encouragement!

I was the last girl in my class to ride a bike without stabilisers! I've alway been a bit of a wimp when it comes to my balance and safety! But I trusted Wyn, this lovely chap wasn't going to let me fall and hurt myself! He was going to be cycling with me. Just that little bit of support and guidance really helped me get into the right mind set to do it! 
Obviously the fact that a 5x Paralympian Gold Medalist was beside me on the journey around the track for support, also helped with the added confidence. So thank you to Jody Cundy for that!
It was actually very tiring! More so then I had anticipated. But I did, and the feeling of achievement smothered the tiredness. It was great!!! 

I seriously felt unstoppable! I was like, sign me up for a triathlon! I'm doing it! I can run, I can ride a bike and I can swim. I will be putting all of these factors into my general health and fitness and get myself built up and strong enough to complete a Triathlon! 

It's very early days yet, but I'm not the type of person who waits around for something to happen. Once I've got my eyes on the prize you can't stop me! And completing a Triathlon next year, before attending the next LimbPower games, would be absolutely AMAZING!!!!
 I hope I can do it in that time!!! If anyone hears or sees me being lazy, just say Triathlon!!!!! And I'll jump back into it! I know I'm feeling pumped with energy and excitement now, which may dip after a few weeks of wearing out. But I must keep at it! I really really really want to achieve this and theres no reason why I can't! 

I've been home for a week now and I've already signed up for a para-thriathlon! I've been going to the gym on a daily basis and have been giving it a good 20 mins on the bike, 20 mins on the treadmill (Just walking fast, I'm not confident enough to attempt running on the treadmill, not when there are loads of other people at the gym! I'll try it one day when I'm up there on my own, that way if/when I fall, it won't be as embarrassing!)

I've set up a meeting with a Personal Trainer at my gym, so maybe that will help me a bit. We'll see how my first session with him goes, when we meet up tomorrow evening. I'll keep you all posted!... (I hope I get the fit guy I saw there last week!!!!)

The next excitement within LimbPower is the Snowdon walk this June. I would love to this walk, but I'm not sure I will be able to with the annoying discomfort I'm having with my leg socket. I'm seeing my prosthetist next week, so hopefully I will be switched onto a different socket that will be more comfortable and will allow me to do the walk in June. With the slow pace of the NHS though, I doubt I'll get it sorted in time!  

Here is a video of the Run Clinic LimbPower held a few months ago, hopefully there will be another one, I'd like to go to that! 



It would be so cool if LimbPower did a Winter Games. It would be cool to try out skiing! Maybe that will happen in the years to come.

So, I have an appointment next week with Tim, I'm going to tell him my plans to do a triathlon and maybe he can sort me out with a decent leg socket and MAYBE even a running blade! I would feel much more confident running with one of them. I'll see what he says anyway. Wish me luck!!!

I have a meeting this week with BCNA, so it will be cool to catch up with everyone and hear plans for the next roadshow. Their next roadshow is going to be on Thursday 18th.



The presentations will be focusing more so on the younger generation, effected by a neurological condition.
Therefor they have asked me to do a little presentation on my mild brain injury and the ways I've adapted my lifestyle to make things easier for myself; like having reminders in my phone and diary.
I put a list of things to do each day and a little box next to them so I can tick them off when they're done. It's a good incentive to do them and will help me stay on track and complete what I want to each day.

Anyway, if you don't go to this roadshow I'll let you know how it went on here anyway.

Until next time, bye bye  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment