Sunday 26 April 2015

#SSS - 26th April @Burnaid @KPFoundation @BCNA2013 @whynotppl @TinieTempah @jameelajamil

So in the last 2 weeks, I've had my stitches out - it felt ok. A little unnerving but not painful. I did jolt my arm down and elbow the nurse in the face, which I felt bad about, but it should have been expected really.  I've been told to massage a lot to get the firm tug of the skin down. It's improving more and more each day, so I can't complain. All the hard work is definitely paying off!

I went to see Shrek with Alex and her boyfriend Daniel, with a charity called Burnaid last weekend! Fay, a lady who I see at the QE about my burn scars, called me to ask if I wanted to go. Very kind of her. It was nice to have a get together with others too. Burns, I can imagine, can be a lonely, isolating time for some people, especially if they look different to the norm to most of society. It's very sad for them, but it's true.

I had very visible burn scars on my face and of course people are going to look, it's not nasty, it's just general curiosity. I would, and still do, do the same. I'm lucky that my scars are on the side of my face, it's not so directly visible to being looking front on. But even if it was, it would be embarrassing to have people starring at you. Some times if someone is so different to the norm, people can't help but stare. They may be looking and think that poor person, they must have been through a lot. That's what I would think. It's natural to look and wonder with curiosity.

Manners should stop you from offending someone with a long stare though. It's rude and you shouldn't. You should also teach your children this too. Today I was in TouchWood Solihull, looking for some nice shoes for my brothers wedding and a young girl with her mom, was looking at me. It doesn't bother me at all! I mean it, I'm not offended by a young child looking at a big red scar down my face, I would do the same at that age (and at this age, I would do the same without making it obvious).
I looked back at her and smiled a few times, then she started pointing and tugging at her mom. Her mom turned to see what she was pointing at and made eye contact with me. I said to her there and then, you should tell her not to point, it's rude. And the mom pulled her daughter to the side and had a word with her. That's good parenting!
It's fine to stare, I totally understand it, but pointing is just rude, no matter how old you are and no matter what it is your pointing at. If you want to tell your mom something, talk to her and tell her. Don't point kids!

Anyway, I was shopping for some heels to wear to my brothers wedding this August. I couldn't find anything nice to fit my ridiculously flat foot! I need a new foot shell on this leg, I need one with a curve to it, to at least sit on a slightly curved shoe. I'm not looking for a 6" pair of heels, I'm talking a slight in-step in the heel of a wedged shoe!

This is the shoe I've got my eyes on anyway, which I thought would be fine to wear with my foot. Carvela - Kurt Geiger click here.


I need a slight curve in my foot cover though. The current one is completely flat, so wouldn't fit nicely in this curved sole. I'm seeing my prosthetist this week so I'll ask hime about it! Fingers crossed it will be achievable anyway! I'm on a mission to get into these shoes.

I have, not so gracefully, accepted the fact that I can never wear high heels, with the strain on my knee joint. But I can wear a little wedge like this surely!!!
If they'd try a little harder for me, I will be able to get my prosthetic foot into this! I'll be nagging my prosthetist Tim about this anyway. I suppose I shouldn't nag him for this while I'm STILL WAITING FOR MY NEW LEG! I've been waiting for like 8/9 months for this new suction socket leg now. It's ridiculous! Anyway, I won't moan about that on here! It's a suppose to be a blog about things that make me smile, when I think about how long I've been waiting for this leg, it makes me want to scream, not smile!

So last weekend I went on a little trip with my Godmother Margaret, to look at a venue I was considering for my friend Alice's hen weekend! It's not until next year, but theres no harm in looking around for a cool place to have it! It was a lovely sunny day too, so it's always nice to have a little spin out in the car. I won't say were we went, as it's a surprise for Alice!
I was a little disappointed with the venue I went to though, it wasn't as nice as it looked online, so the hunt is still on!

After this little spin out I went for a meal with Nan, Alex, Dan, Grace and Isabelle. Got home to Nanny Js and had a secret little cry. I was feeling a bit low, it might have been all the lads that were out that night,  in our restaurant. It  made me reminisce on the life I had before my accident and how much I miss it!
It was just a small little dip anyway, I woke up the next day feeling fine! Still smiling! :) 

So I'm booking tickets this week for a little trip with Alex and the KPFoundation. A weekend away, meeting other burn survivors.  I'm looking forward to this trip with Alex! It will be a nice get away, to a beautiful place on 6th June. I'm very much looking forward to it.


This week I'm going to be focusing on my presentation for BCNA Their next roadshow is in June and I'll be doing a little presentation there! Talking about my brain injury and how it's effected me etc. Eeeek, I'll be polishing it up this week and doing a few trial runs so I've got it down to a T by June! :) 

I went to see a lovely lady called Kay at West Park, a therapist dealing with getting back into work. They hold an event on a Thursday, I didn't make it last week, so hopefully I'll get to it this Thursday!
I'm excited to get back on to the paid employment ladder! I've missed it!

So I've paid my £15 for membership with Why Not People , their first gig will be held on 1st July with Tinie Tempa! I'm really looking forward to it!



So I don't have much more to tell you really. I'll hopefully be updating you with more info next time re working/driving again!
 It won't be long until I'm doing both of these again! Fingers crossed by at least September! I'll give myself a few more months to heal up and recover fully! Plus I need to focus on the voluntary work I'm doing at the moment for Black Country Neurological Alliance!
I'm meeting a lovely lady Linda Chen next week too, to talk about help for the amazing organisation LimbPower!

Exciting things on the horizon!
Until next time,
Peace xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment