Monday 19 May 2014

Limb Power

WOW! I had the best weekend EVER! Limb Power is such a great event and I'm going to try and attend all of the events throughout the year that they organise. I will list off all of the cool activities I was involved in and all the amazing people I met.

However first, before I get into an excited ball and roll off all of this information...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEONARD!!!! 


Right now, I am sitting at the dining table with the patio doors open, the birds singing their hearts out, tea and toast to the side of me,with a smile on my face thinking about the amazing weekend I just had.
A year ago today, I was lying in intensive care, bandaged up like a mummy and in a coma. My family didn't know what was going on! They knew I was a fighter! They knew I had died under the car that night, my heart had stopped, I was resuscitated in the ambulance before brought to the Birmingham QE. They knew I was amputated, from the car crash, on my right leg, above the knee. However, I was in a coma and they didn't know if I would even wake up from it. I was like that for 3 weeks, they waited for me to wake up every day, worrying that I may wake up entirely brain damaged. God that would have been terrible!
What they didn't know was I spent most of my time in a battle to rock, paper, scissors with the big man upstairs. Luckily, as you may know, I am astonishingly good at that game of chance, kicked G-dog's ass!
So I woke up on 31st May. My sister Alex's birthday. It's the least I could do, if I couldn't even go out and buy her a drink on her big 19th!

So, today 19th May 2014, it is my darling support of life, Leonard's 1st birthday! I have only had a prosthetic leg for about 4-5 months, his name is Leonard, and his 1'st birthday is today! I'm going out for a lovely family meal tonight to celebrate. I sure hope there is a candle and cake for him (me mwahahaha)

God a year has flown by. I know I was in hospital for a good few months and I am dealing with amnesia, but it seems like years ago when I was in the hospital canteen with all my friends, in a wheelchair and a completely shaved head!
Skin grafts were taken from my scalp to transfer onto my face, that is now covered by a small bob again! I'm walking around without a stick, mainly indoors, and I'm nearly back to normal! Only a couple more surgeries to reconstruct my face and then off we go, back into the world with no apparent disfigurements.
(And no, I wont be growing a beard, if that's what you consider, when I have scalp skin on my face, it's exactly what I thought at first! haha)

So the weekend in Stoke Mandeville Stadium, which isn't actually in Stoke - as myself and Anna did believe - was a truly heart lifting and eventful weekend! I met some incredible people! It was so lovely to meet Kiera and Gemma in the flesh, as we had only connected on Facebook. People attended from all ages and various background. There were even a couple of fitties too! ;)



On Friday, Anna and I drove down to Aylesbury to the stadium, to find accommodation, rest up and wake vitalised and excited to start the games.
Saturday morning we drove over to the stadium and checked in at the accommodation lodge. Then made our way to the stadium hall where we were greeted by so many people. It was such an eye opener at first. Seeing a room full of people with prosthetic legs on! Normally you are the one that stands out of a crowd, whereas here, we were all part of the family! It was a great feeling and I think a few people felt the same way. We started nattering away with people and signed up with a group to attend a variety of events with them.

Group 3, I believe. The day started at 9.30 with wheelchair dance sport, followed by Football at 10.20-11.05 I really enjoyed the football training. It was like a starter drill walking in and out of cones in a line on the floor. I managed to do this, without a stick!!! It was great. Then we had a coffee break, a natter and a foot rest. 11.15 we had a basket ball session, I actually loved this one! I never have, but I got really into this game, it could have gone on for longer. I get quite competitive at the best of times. When playing a game where I think, I've actually got a chance here, I really go for it. I liked the fact that we were all in a cool sports wheelchair for this game too. You know the ones with the slanted wheels and small backed seats. I liked the mobility of this chair. It was a little dangerous however when bashing into one another on a couple of occasions toppled the seat over. Luckily I kept my arse on the seat at all time!
After the basked ball game, at 12.05 I attended a game of Archery. My GOD I was actually good at this one! I thought at first, this has to be a fluke, then the second time I was equally as good. I think I've found a new game that I really enjoyed and I was actually fantastic at. A natural robin hood, who would have thought it! This was the very first time I've ever played Archery, it certainly wont be the last. I've even taken details for a local facility for me to practice in. I'm going for gold people. Keep your eyes out for me in the paraolympics in a few years time, hehe.

12.50-1.35 We had a lunch break. Anna and I collected our lunch pack and went and sat outside in the sunshine along with a few others. (Please note, I'm not mentioning peoples names in this dialogue as I can just about remember what I had to eat, I can't remember all the names. I do apologise!)

After a lovely lunch in the sunshine we headed over to the sports track for a little game of badminton. Anna and I weren't very good at this, our hand eye co-ordination is diabolical at the best of times! It was lovely being out in the sunshine though, we had gorgeous weather. It did get a little hot and sweaty for me in my plastic face mask and pressure garments! However, following on from the sweaty outdoors, we spend the majority of the afternoon indoors for a 'confidence building" session. This was lovely! We got all dolled up with a vintage makeover (or a make over to your taste and request) and had a photo shoot! I'm looking forward to receiving the picture taken, in the post soon! Obviously I took all of my garments off for this. The mask, and pressure garments were all put into a bag and left off for the rest of the evening! I felt rather glamorous compared to my previous appearance in that suffocating malarky.
With our make overs, we really didn't fancy hitting any fitness track! So Anna and I dropped out of the following swimming events, which we probably should have had a go at now, looking back. Anna is a   good swimmer and I'm not too bad either. I was feeling rather lethargic after a day full of fun and activities though! My poor little head does tend to drain more energy than normal.
After dinner there was an Archery competition, which following my really impressive attempts I was GUTTED I didn't have a go at. Looking back, if I knew there were medals at the end of the weekend to be handed out I would have jumped at the opportunity. I'm ridiculously competitive, even more so when I know I'm quite good.  I've already got gold paraolympic medals gleaming in my eyes! Seriously!

Anna and I headed to bed around 9ish, where we showered and got into our PJs with the TV on and a cup of tea by the bed. a long sleep was definitely needed!

Sunday 18th May, The night I crashed the car last year! I wasn't feeling bubbly today, I had a great sleep, however I felt like I needed a peaceful relaxing day. We had a 'lazy day' of yoga, tea and chats. The yoga instructor was a rather attractive young Irish lad, definitely ticked a good few boxes, so we did linger on to about 2 or 3 yoga classes! I was a little disappointed we didn't try the sitting volleyball games, that would have been fun.

By around midday we were ready to hit the road home, however we sat around to see the awards and say goodbye to everyone. I actually felt a little sad to be saying goodbye to people! Almost like the last day at school. Thinking, will I see so and so again? I hope so! I'm sure I will meet them all again. The next event on the horizon is the Manic Marafun on the 23rd of August! I CAN'T WAIT! 
It was such a lovely weekend, I am really glad that we found the leaflet for LimbPower on a table at The Maltings, my rehab place. It isn't highly marketed in the West Midlands, Anna has been an amputee for 10 years and hadn't even heard about it. I think it should be shouted from the roof tops of all amputee rehabs in the West Midlands, and all over the UK. I will be telling everyone at the Maltings just how amazing, interesting & enlightening the weekend was for me.

I've always had a little spark in my eyes, but this lit them up even more so. I can't wait to get involved in all of the activities. I have never been interested in sport to be honest, but I really did enjoy every event this weekend. It was an eye opener to many more aspects, hope and encouragement to people who may have felt a bit stranded in their current situation. The sense of community there was so powerful, it felt like a family! I loved it so much and I feel it my mission to spread this around to more amputees out there.

If you feel like you are deserted, on an island, missing out on life, you're not. You need to snap out of any negative situation you find yourself in. Feeling the hope, love and friendship from people around you in the same boat as you, and seeing the variety of aspects for improving you lifestyle is just amazing. Limb Power, you are amazing!!!

In fact, I was working in marketing. I'm going to help! This blog post is just the start!

5 comments:

  1. I take my virtual hat off to you - you've done amazingly well with your recovery. I was injured in an RTC whilst cycling, the car went over my legs. I did get to keep all my bits and pieces and am currently 3 months off my second year post RTC. I know it's hard work, Yoga really does help. I qualified as a Sun Power Yoga teacher in 2009 (pre-RTC) which is how I came across your blog link after another teacher working at Limb Power posted a link. You are doing a brilliant job - best of luck & keep it up :) http://peacecycling.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://peace-yoga.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! where do you teach your Yoga? If it's anywhere near me in the west midlands I'll pop along for a class ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kelly , I've just finished reading your 100 happy days. I cried all the way it took me 3 rereads to really enjoy it. I just wanted to say that you have helped me understand alittle more about myself. thankyou :-) www.facebook.com/maryann.joice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maryann! <3 I've just contacted you on FB. x

      Delete
  3. Hi Kelly - you would be more than welcome, sadly I'm not able to teach Yoga at the moment due to injuries sustained. They would normally be in Shropshire so not far from you & hopefully they will be again one day! :)

    ReplyDelete