Friday 15 August 2014

Don't 'Diss' My Ability!

 Dear public,





I'm a proud AMPUTEE. I absolutely do not like being classed as 'disabled'. It's a negative category. It is a negative name for a category of people. A category of people who can differ so so much in their ability! The fact that this is not considered alone, is a joke!

You all know the joke, an English man, an Irish man and a Scottish man. Well this could be, there was an amputated man, a blind man and a deaf man. They are all classed as disabled people, yet their ability is so different to one another. The English Man, the Irish man and the Scottish man, they all speak the same language. They don't need a translator to assist their conversation. Yet the Amputee man, the deaf man and the Blind man all need different aids in life. Whether that be aiding a conversation between them all, or to move from one side of the room to the next.

To 'dis' something is always negative, DISapprove DISbelief, DISagree, DISappoint,  DISaster, DISgrace, DIShonest, DISrespect, DISrupt, DISturb, DIStress, DISsatisfaction.

It could go on and on, but I won't, you get the point. Disabled, is a negative label.

Therefore, it is quite apparent as to why I so passionately DISlike being labeled with this term of a negative ability. Yes it is very negative at the minute, as I can't jump up and run to the door when someone rings the bell. I can't at this very minute. But I will be able to eventually. In fact, I will be able to run faster than ever before as soon as I get a running blade. I may be able to run and jump over the person ringing the door bell.…
I will have an enhanced ability! They'll be nothing 'DIS' about it. :)

I know, this is an area of smiles and happy thoughts and energy, but I'm raging up toward this label of 'disabled' and it's best to let things out and get rid of them, so I'm letting it all out on here so you can all see it, take it in, do what you want with it. Just do not, ever, ever call me disabled.

I know other amputees don't mind being labelled as a disabled, and I know that some have a far bigger challenge than I have. So by using the facilities like the disabled toilets is an absolute necessary, but they are just different toilets. Because the people who need them can't cram themselves into tiny cubicles with their wheelchairs. Im very lucky in the fact I can still use the 'normal' toilets and at the end of they day, they are all still toilets,

A negative view. I'm not saying people are negative towards amputees and other 'disabled people', not at all. It is all done with a considerate heart. They are putting consideration into their customers so that people with various disabilities are greeted with special adapted services. It is all done in a considerate matter. I do appreciate that. However, I don't want to let that control me or label me though.

I personally do not want to be treated any differently then I was before, I don't need special care or help in my public life. Thank you for the consideration, but I decline the kind gesture. The kind gestures that I personally, do not need, just because I have a prosthetic leg.

So, now thats all done and dusted. I appreciate your help, but I choose not to accept it.

Thank you.

Rant over, now SMILE! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment